Monday, October 14, 2013

video review: 'my name is my name' by pusha t


Well, it took longer than i would have liked to get out, but here it is, my review of Pusha T's solo debut. Now I can go back to never having to care about this guy for a good year or so (judging by how much legwork it took to get this album out, I've probably got some time).

This week... well, damn, I've got no clue. I probably should cover Joe Nichols, but man that album looks bland as all hell, and here's a case where not a single song on the album was touched by Nichols himself - lovely. 

On the other hand, we've got Pearl Jam.

...okay, I think I know what I'm going to be talking about tomorrow, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. ....As far as I can tell the diversity of production takes us a musical trip through
    the past two decades from the prestige of a drug dealer all the way to Hip Hop
    hustler on the brink of Zeitgeist enlightenment. The production is pretty
    comprehensive and shows his appreciation of a number of different eras.

    The album manages to string together so many elements beloved from Hip-Hop, from minimalist 90's beat to theatrical good music production, R&B hooks that came out of the 90's, witty sharp lyricism, as well as an aptitude for clever story telling. And of course, the constant that ties it all together, testosterone fuelled, yet some how well collected coke raps something of a signature for the artist.

    To me what makes this a truly interesting listen is him drawing parallels from the gang banging lifestyle to being a hip hop mogul. The “Hustle” is still alive and well. One must look no further than SIMPLY the album artwork. The parallel being white albums to white kilos. The bar code indicates, hey this is just another day at work for Pusha T, whether is selling coke or albums, its much the same to him.
    Perhaps the only real "issue" with this LP are questionable additions of MC's; "Big Sean" and "2 Chainz" neither of which can come close to holding their own lyrically against Pusha. Both of there versus feel unintentionally awkward and slightly comical on and all but introspective and fascinating album.

    Yet, neither of them are truly enough to detract from the album as a whole.

    ReplyDelete